Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Why is it so darn cold in here?

Over the past 3 days it has been getting colder at night.  This happens every year at about the same time.  Last night I was so cold that I actually had to turn on the oven for a while just to get up to barely comfortable.  The problem is that heat is included in the rent and the maintenance guy wouldn't believe me when I told him that my windows were closed and my place was still almost freezing.  He is a nice guy, but doesn't think that a woman knows how to close windows.  So he came up and checked for airleaks etc...

While he is doing this, I mentioned that perhaps his apartment isn't so cold.  He replied that his wife has been complaining of the cold for a few days now but HE didn't think it was cold enough to start up the old boilers.

Nice to know that he doesn't believe his wife can tell hot from cold either.

I didn't want to be the one (whiner, complainer, idiot) that called in and asked to have it turned on which is why I've been resorting to the oven. 

The office manager called me after the maintenance guy left.  My hydro bill for August was over twice as much as it has ever been and I asked her to look into it for me.  They had been working on replacing all the electrical boxes in the building as they were older than I was.  In the process, I think they got the connections to the meters mixed up and so someone in the building is getting away with not paying their fair share.  So she wanted permission to let the electricians in tomorrow so that they can figure it out.  Good thing I got bored yesterday and cleaned up the kitchen.

Anyway, back to my story.  I told the office manager about the heat and so she is now on the maintenance guy's butt to get it up and working.  She is the best nag queen I have ever met.  And she lives in the building too.  I think he just didn't want to have to do any work after 3 pm. 

The thing is that this isn't some fleabag apartment building.  Heat is included in the rent and so I expect to have heat when I need it.  So there!!

And I am still waiting for the old "clang, clang, clang" that means that there will be warmth henceforth. 

Whoopee...As I wrote the above sentence, there was music in my ears. "Clang, Clang, Clang".  Those old water radiator things sure do make a racket.  That boiler is as old as the building (1929) and it has never failed yet.

So lesson learned in assertive complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers