Sunday, September 13, 2009

On Babies

So my last post was a bit off-putting and so I thought I might make up for it. Have you ever held a "fresh from the oven" baby? I did.

Back in nursing school. I don't have kids of my own, but I did get to watch a few deliveries and later on I did catch two babies that were in a hurry to get out.

But back to my first one. Poor mum had been pushing all day and the doctor decided that it was time. Baby was showing some signs of distress so they were going to try pulling this little guy out. After 10 minutes of different attepmts, the doctor asked the resident to give it a go. Resident looks at him and asks "why me?" Doctor replied by lifting his hands. His fingers were big manly fingers and he said he needed little women fingers. So here is this brand new resident who was a petite lady (doctor probably planned that). She was able to reach in and ease the baby out. It is messy, but that baby was the sweetest thing I have ever seen. The resident was nervous and she handed him off to me. I had been holding the warm blanket and all of a sudden, I had this bundle of joy screaming at me. I held him for a while and then one of the nurses came up behind me and guided me to the warming table. I think I would have stood there all day and not noticed anything else. I put some goop in his eyes. I took his APGAR scores- 9 and 10, vital signs, and then wrapped him up tight and brought him to his mother. I saw them both the next day. Baby was still the cutest thing ever, but those first 5 minutes of his life will be with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers